Ontario cop pleads guilty to bribing fellow officer and helping a tow truck company

TORONTO — An officer has pleaded guilty to bribing a fellow officer in Toronto’s police force, according to police documents that allege he was tasked with stealing police equipment, including a stun gun and radios, while he “secretly assisted” a tow truck company.

Officers from 52 Division in downtown Toronto set up a surveillance on a fleet of towing trucks in the area on Sept. 24, 2017, beginning a four-month investigation, according to the documents that outline the case against Gurdip Singh Kahlon, 35.

The investigation began when then-Toronto Police Deputy Commissioner Doug Sweeney found documents in a sergeant’s office that allegedly showed Kahlon and his cohorts siphoning large amounts of money from the fleet of towing trucks, creating an environment in which there would be no opportunity for them to steal police equipment.

The documents include 48 pages of interviews, transcripts of in-car conversations, surveillance photos and recorded phone calls among Kahlon, Sgt. Mahesh Malik, officers from 52 Division and other members of the force.

“You are being blamed for stealing from this towing yard so badly that you’re bad guys,” a lieutenant told Kahlon in one call. “You didn’t know you were doing it.”

While his buddies continue to play video games in the vehicle, Kahlon picked up a radio and checked the radio frequency, toggling it between channels to conceal his cellphone, the documents said.

The detective briefing officers was concerned about Kahlon’s “dedication” and his “tactical prowess” with a radio, the documents said.

Eventually, officers received reports of several torched towing trucks in the area, the documents said. Officers from 52 Division began arranging surveillance on all of the towing trucks to determine if they were damaged by arson.

The surveillance photos show what appears to be a squad car of the Toronto Police Service burn the first time investigators examined it. Later photos show three squad cars abandoned and torn at the roadside. The surveillance photos also reveal what appears to be the burned body of an officer hidden beneath a pile of debris.

It’s clear at first that the towing business was easy to manipulate, especially when it came to procurement of equipment. — Toronto Police Staff Sgt. Rahul Dudhwalia

Police also conducted surveillance on the towing company itself. Investigators found several surveillance videos of Kahlon entering the company’s office and watching activities, police said.

“It’s clear at first that the towing business was easy to manipulate, especially when it came to procurement of equipment,” wrote Staff Sgt. Rahul Dudhwalia in the police documents.

Through surveillance, officers eventually learned that Kahlon had been involved in a conspiracy to steal police equipment while he “secretly assisted” the tow truck company, the documents say. He passed photos of illegally stolen radios to employees from the company, investigators said.

In his plea agreement filed in court, Kahlon admitted to a “conspiracy to commit fraud over $5,000” and conspiracy to commit arson. He has agreed to serve time behind bars, as well as pay about $1 million to the Toronto Police Service and the Ontario Motor Association.

In a phone call with police, Kahlon said, “My friends all know that I have been wired.”

Leave a Comment